Culture is the basis of traditions, customs, protocols, values, spirituality, ceremonies, language, ways of knowing and being, and connections to the land and the life-sustaining resources of the land. Culture is the essence of who we are, who we belong to, where we come from, and how we relate to one another.
Weaving Roots will fund in whole or part programs or initiatives that:
- Foster the passing down of custom, craft, or learning.
- Enhance community ability to develop cultural training programs, mechanisms, and advocacy.
- Support research that provides avenues for the revitalization of Indigenous culture.
- Create a strong network of experts in Indigenous heritage and cultural knowledge.
Examples of these programs or initiatives include, but are not limited to:
- Traditional language classes or schools
- Heritage based craft/creation programs
- Indigenous organizing and advocacy groups
- Heritage preservation campaigns & seminars
- Youth leadership and mentorship initiatives